During a counselling session last week the Counsellor has admittedÂ that he is only able to help so far and has identified a number of things. We have been looking at things in depth and using mood diary’s to help. But a lot of the underlying issues we found are ingrained in my mind and cannot be changed, which is causing issues. He thinks I will probably be Diagnosed withÂ Asperger’sÂ Syndrome and he thinks getting the diagnosis will help, in my understanding and will open up other treatments more geared to help me.
I will still be seeing my Counsellor a couple of more times to help with anxiety symptoms and coping mechanisms but wont be a complete fix. Have chased up the Autism assessment and waiting to find out how long the waiting list is.
What are the Symptoms of Aspergerâ€™s Syndrome?
- Difficulty maintaining eye contact
- Difficulty managing social situations
- Unable to respond appropriately in verbal interactions
- Unable to decipher facial expressions or body language
- Unable to show emotions, may seem emotionally robotic
- May focus solely on their own needs
- Focus in on specific subjects they are interested in. Usually the topic is very literal.
- Resistant to change. May expect the same thing to occur day after day.